Thursday, May 17, 2012

dinosaur quilt for my son



I finally made a quilt for my own child. My son requested a dinosaur quilt, so I had to get creative. I looked a lots of pictures on the web for inspiration and made my own pattern. I free hand drew dinosaurs using illustrations from children's books as a guide. I used only fabric I already had in my large collection from my mother.


I stacked and re-stacked all the fabrics I had over and over to find combinations that worked. The dinosaur paper cutouts are from my freehand drawings.


Here are the final squares, but I was still undecided on the placement and color of each dinosaur.


Quilt finally done, maybe my favorite quilt I've ever made.


It's all in the details. I machine quilted the blocks and hand quilted the dinosaurs. It was a good compromise. I didn't have enough fabric for the back, so I added a color strip and appliqued my son's name, which turned out to be a good mistake.

1 comment:

Astrid said...

Oh my goodness! I am discovering this post a year late. What a splendid work of art, you are such an artist! I am speechless.