Friday, May 05, 2006

ski hat

This was a special request from a friend, who has trouble finding hats that fit. She gave me a sample hat that had a pattern she liked and some yarn. I searched for a pattern, but I couldn't find anything remotely similar on the internet, which surprised me because this type of hat is very popular here in Switzerland. I could find patterns with earflaps, patterns with pointed tops (only a couple), patterns with a fair-isle pattern (but mostly only two tone) but none putting all these elements together and certainly none using as big as yarn as I was using (US 10 needle). So I cobbled together several patterns and graphed out a pattern in Excel, which was rather fun. Then hoped for the best as I decreased at the crown, trying to make the pattern not get all goofy as the stitches merged together. I had to undo several rows, several times to make it look right, not so fun. But I'm pretty satisfied. My fair-isle technique is still terrible - I still spend lots of time adjusting the yarn tension after knitting and my stranding and weaving is sooooo messy (pic of inside of hat below). I have a lot to learn.

No comments: