Friday, August 11, 2006

multiplying like rabbits

In an effort to use all this fabric as quickly as possible, I've started more quilting projects, obviously with no hope of ever finishing any of them. And I worry: what if I don't have a child interested in carrying on the tradition? It's sad to think after I'm gone that the remaining 100 kilos of fabric might just be thrown away. That's why I quilt, to keep the chain going.

Anyway, here's my second project, a Card Trick pattern using fabric I bought at least 8 years ago for a quilt that's long since been forgotten. So I had to "make it work" and squeeze every last bit out of that yardage to maintain some cohesiveness. I finished the last square (number 48) two days ago and am desperate to look at new fabric. So instead of sewing it all together, I've pulled more fabric out of the mystery boxes...


48 finished squares ... red, white & blue

I've decided to make a patriotic quilt, to help me remember my homeland. I'll try to have it done for next July 4th. The planning stage is fun, i.e. requires tedious calculation and sketching. I have an Excel spreadsheet to calculate required yardage and adjust sizes. I also scanned all my fabric so I can make quilt diagrams in Powerpoint with the swatches and test out different variations. Here are the final two contenders:


option 1: random placement of reds


option 2: orderly placements of reds

To the untrained eye, these may appear to be exactly the same. OK, they look the same to me too. But there is a subtle difference. In the first, the four red prints are "randomly" placed to give it a more country, scrappy feel (to achieve this "randomness" I spent an hour in Excel figuring out a layout that ensured no print would appear next to itself). In the second, three red prints are used in the same places throughout the quilt, to give a more orderly feel. Option 2 is much easier to construct, but I think I like option 1 better. If anyone actually reads this blog, I'd love to read your opinion.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the random one better, which is weird because I usually like the neatness of orderly patterns. The random one just looks more cohesive if that makes any sense at all. Good luck though. I've wanted to make a patriotic quilt for several years now but quilting is the last thing on my list right now. Happy quilting.

Tanya D said...

Thanks for the feedback :) I like the random one too. I just needed some encouragement. I tried to access your site awhile ago but it was down. I see it's up again so I have some catching up to do. Happy house building.

Astrid said...

Hey Tanya, I just happened to look at this blog (Bloglines didn't inform me you had updated it, I guess you've got to activate the right option in the template for RSS feeds or something.)

I'm so impressed and moved by your quilting passion! What a strange and emotional legacy from your mom. And what a beautiful tribute to her to keep quilting. Truly a lovely, creative way to celebrate what she has given you and to express yourself.

I vote for the random pattern. Definitely. It's still very orderly but just a bit more alive, more organic.

Wow, Powerpoint, Excel and quilting. Love the combination!

Susan C said...

I like #2 better because in my experience with "projects" the less complicated, the better the chance that I'll actually finish it! But that's just me. I wish I'd known to give you the bags and bags of fabric that I'd accumulated before I finally had to downsize. You are amazing my little one!!